Thursday, June 12, 2008

i-TFTD #126

i-TFTD #126

#126-1. Martin Luther King Jr. didn't change the world by saying, "I have a complaint…".
-Chris Jordan

#126-2. I may be a despicable person, but when Truth speaks through me I am invincible.
-Mahatma Gandhi

#126-3. The vast majority of human beings dislike and even dread all notions with which they are not familiar. Hence it comes about that at their first appearance innovators have always been derided as fools and madmen.

-Aldous Huxley

_____
Martin Luther King made a simple phrase, "I have a dream…" immortal not only by his passionate speech but by rallying people into action against seemingly insurmountable odds. Personally, I find it highly ironic that it is fashionable today to say, "Don’t bother about the words…" while we are all victims of the media, advertising and PR bombardment -- all users of words as weapons.

I would like to interpret the second quote in the context of concepts or ideas. To me, it brings out the power of ideas whether conveyed through words, images or actions.

Innovation often appears as madness until proven valuable. Deliberate silliness and childlike behaviour is a recommended technique to tap into our inherent creativity. If nothing else, it makes life fun! At the risk of immodesty, this is one of the few areas I can claim to have practised and benefited.

No comments: