Friday, June 6, 2008

i-TFTD #123

i-TFTD #123

#123-1. People laugh because I am different, but I laugh because they are all the same.
-Anon

#123-2. Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.

-C.S. Lewis

#123-3. Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

____
In today's hypercompetitive, media-defined world every product is attempted to be portrayed as different. It is fashionable to say I am different. Not to say so would be really different. The trick is to recognize that each of us is truly different from others and not pretend to conform for the sake of comfort.

When exaggeration is rampant, loose and casual use of words is considered acceptable. It is funny to notice that my interest in precision increases with my knowledge as does my awareness of my ignorance. When I do not know the language, I tend to say, "Don't nitpick on the words!"

Recognizing beauty is a talent to be nurtured. Then we start finding more of it wherever we look.

No comments: