Friday, July 20, 2007

i-TFTD #35: Mother's Day

i-TFTD #35: Mother's Day

A man stopped at a flower shop to order some flowers to be wired to his mother who lived two hundred miles away. As he got out of his car he noticed a young girl sitting on the curb sobbing.

He asked her what was wrong and she replied, "I wanted to buy a red rose for my mother. But I only have seventy-five cents, and a rose costs two dollars." The man smiled and said, "Come on in with me. I'll buy you a rose."

He bought the little girl her rose and ordered his own mother's flowers.

As they were leaving he offered the girl a ride home. She said, "Yes, please! You can take me to my mother."

She directed him to a cemetery, where she placed the rose on a freshly dug grave.

The man returned to the flower shop, canceled the wire order, picked up a bouquet and drove the two hundred miles to his mother's house.

_____
While the touching aspect of this story is obvious, I find other interesting thought-triggers in it.

1. We often need a comparative reference in order to relook at something and realize its value. Could we consciously acquire the habit to periodically revisit existing situations, people, relationships and investments with a fresh perspective?

2. The man seems to be have an inherent sensitivity and willingness to open himself to an unplanned experience, which, in turn, led to something good. If he ignored the sobbing girl or even just gave her money and walked away, there would be no story. I have personally experienced that many interesting new things happened in activities that were not only unplanned but could-not-have-been planned.

1 comment:

Sundar said...

beautiful..made my day...