Wednesday, March 31, 2010

i-TFTD #268: On Sense and News

i-TFTD #268: On Sense and News

#268-1. I react pragmatically. Where the market works, I'm for that. Where the government is necessary, I'm for that. I'm deeply suspicious of somebody who says, "I'm in favor of privatization," or, "I'm deeply in favor of public ownership." I'm in favor of whatever works in the particular case.
-John Kenneth Galbraith, Canadian-American economist (1908-2006)

#
268-2. I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope.
-Theodor (Dr.) Seuss Geisel, American children's writer and cartoonist (1904-1991)

#
268-3. If you don't read the newspaper, you are uninformed; if you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed.
-Mark Twain, American humorist, writer and lecturer (1835-1910)

____
I like Galbraith's nonsense and Dr. Seuss's pragmatism <g>. Many great thinkers, including Rajaji and poet Walt Whitman, have expressed the need for improving our views. Forming opinions with confidence is the first stage in learning a new subject but further steps of growth necessarily involve reversing earlier thoughts. Attenuation is different from having a weak signal to begin with. Playful tweaking is an essential activity for rapid learning.

After The Indian Express, The Hindu is the second respected daily English newspaper in India facing family ownership related problems. Such are the times (pun intended) that we are left with a monopoly newspaper group that proudly auctions its pages all of which are worthy of being called Page 3. Like my friends in America have been doing for years I wo! uld soon be consuming news from Google et al rather than the physical paper accompanying the morning cuppa. Not much to lament about ! when you can explore topics with innovative services like Trailmeme.

No comments: