Tuesday, April 13, 2010

i-TFTD #272: On Knowledge and Ideas

i-TFTD #272: On Knowledge and Ideas

#272-1. Whoever in debate quotes authority uses not intellect, but memory.
-Leonardo Da Vinci

#272-
2. The graveyards are full of indispensable men.
-Charles de Gaulle

#272-
3. A mediocre idea that generates enthusiasm will go further than a great idea that inspires no one.
-Mary Kay Ash

_____
Quoting authority is not necessarily a bad strategy. Its effectiveness depends on the acceptability of the authority to the listener. Many make the mistake of choosing the authority that they (the speaker) respect.

Withholding information, continuing to be the only expert in the team, making sure others depend on me… these are previous-century tactics. The benefits of consciously and regularly making myself dispensable are: (i) I make it easier to move on to newer roles and responsibilities (ii) I demonstrate leadership by developing others (iii) My contribution is not only my performance output but I leave a legacy of success via others.

An idea, to succeed, needs to reach the right minds at the right time. Too early or too late or to the wrong people... could kill the idea prematurely. Innovation (applied creativity) requires selling of ideas.

No comments: